Sunday, December 9, 2007

12-7-07 "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

One should never take antihistamines prior to Shakespeare.  Despite the haze, I enjoyed a wonderful production of A Midsummer Nights Dream  acted by our drama department.  I was in awe of how a teacher could pull Shakespeare out of 15-17 year olds who spend more time texting their friends than doing their homework!  Our drama teacher was hired just prior to my arrival at Royal and I have watched her build an incredible drama program the past six years.  I have watched her take kids who were frequent flyers in the discipline office into outstanding thespians.

I have observed her teaching style and although quite different from "regular" core teachers, She meets the kid where they are be it black painted fingernails and an lousy attitude and walks with them throughout their transformation.  I have often quoted, "Kids don't care how much you know, until they know how much your care."  This statement, is a good description of her teaching style.

The first two hours I was seated with one of our teachers, who shared with me a concern for a colleague who in her words was being "eaten alive by kids and parents."   We hired this teacher a couple years ago and it was a battle from the start... not only did he follow an incredible teacher, but his teaching style was completely different from the previous one.  I have done a lousy job of mentoring this young teacher while watching helplessly his evolution from anarchy to dictatorship.  Neither approach has been effective in building his program.

So... what is the answer? Those around him suggest that "He should listen to the kids." or "He should have more fun and relax more."  Another stated that he "needed more support from administration."  I personally feel that he is suffering from a trap that many young teachers fall prey to... forgetting your mission.   In this era of "Standards-Based Education" it is very easy to get lost in the sea of curriculum or the the final product.  When this happens we often lose grasp of the journey itself.   It is the journey that should be the most enjoyable, those "teachable moments" along the way.  Teenagers are acutely aware of this process and when the instructor seems to care more for the "product" than "students," they have a tendency to revolt.  How many times have we heard "that teacher doesn't like me"?   When actually the love of kids, is the very reason we enter this profession. 

If I was brave enough to get a tattoo, which I am not... I would inscribe "Kids don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care" on my person for all to see.  Unfortunately, I have failed as a mentor to make this young teacher understand this is the one key element of education that must be present or all instructional practice is in vain.  When frustration reigns king, and the alarm clock becomes an unwelcome foe, it is time to re-evaluate our journey and completely alter our course if necessary.  As for me, I will schedule a much needed conference with this young teacher and lend the support that should have been offered months ago.