Saturday, March 14, 2009

3-13-09 - PINK FRIDAY!


Twenty-six years ago I graduated from high school on Friday the 13th. Even at that time, I knew I wanted to be an educator, even though at the time I was going to college as a psychology major it wasn't long before I came back to my first love, education. I say without hesitation that this week has been the worst of my professional career. My heart aches for those who have just entered our profession or have been in the classroom for less than three years.

Today was labeled as PINK FRIDAY by the CTA, the California Teacher's Association. Labeled appropriately, March 15 is the deadline that districts could present (postmark) thousands of teachers all over the state with pink slips. In our district alone, over two hundred teachers were given pink slips. I watched my principal fight tears himself all day as he gave notice to 20+ teachers that they too would find heart-break in their mailboxes. This week has been hell for all of us... those who anticipated the worst, the survivor guilt of those who have tenure as well as those of us who provided Kleenex to the steady stream of tears that flowed all week. Some of them new families with babies with both parents given "notice."



As administrators, we could provide little comfort, as we ourselves do not know what the future will hold. This current year's budget was only approved weeks ago, the Governor's revision is not expected until June/July, and the fate of our state educational system lay in the hands of voters in the May special election. Concerned that voters will not choose to increase their taxes in during these tough economic times we fear the current worse scenario will become the best. Not only do teachers have to fear being cut themselves, but becoming a victim of seniority "bumping" by other teachers in the district that was originally put in place as a safe-guard for professionals. As we enter into the spring semester, making scheduling decisions for the upcoming year are next to impossible as we have no idea what our faculty will look like for the upcoming year. I am sickened and angry that our society pays professional athletes millions, while unpaid educators are given a pink slips. WAKE UP AMERICA!
In our profession, this is truly the worst of times...


http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/dennert/archives/2009/03/pink-friday-ral.html